Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Banff continued.....

Tuesday, Aug. 30:  Today started out with rain.  Not a good thing, since I had a trail ride scheduled later this afternoon.  I waited until I thought it was clearing off and drove out to see the Vermilion Lakes.  These are a series of wetlands not far from downtown.  Soon after I turned into the lake drive, I saw a huge bolt of lightning and it started hailing!!  It didn't last long, but then the rain continued.  There were several ducks and herons on the lakes, and they were pretty.  Then, I decided to stop at The Cascade Gardens.  That same couple that recommended the scenic route to Banff also recommended this.  It was located near my hotel and it was free!!  (Things are pretty expensive here.)  The gardens were lovely and fortunately had little shelters throughout because it came another shower.  I shared the shelter with a couple visiting from England and we talked about J.K. Rowling, Oxford, Lewis and Tolkien. 

By 4 p.m., the skies seemed to be clearing again, so I headed to the stables for the horse ride and steak fry.  I checked in and told the manager I did not like to get wet.  He said I had the option to take the covered wagon out to the sight instead of the horse.  It started to drizzle.  But, when it was time to mount up, I said I'll take the horse.  His name was Wilson - Mr. Wilson- and he was the biggest horse I've ever ridden.  I had to use a step stool to get on him.  But everyone said he was a very good horse. A few minutes into the ride, it started raining and continued most of the way in.  I had come prepared with coat and hat, so it was tolerable.  The dinner was steak, salad, baked potatoes, and barbecued beans with cupcakes for dessert.  Yum!  We were all glad there was also a fire to dry out by.   I had mostly dried out, except for my jeans, when it was time to ride back.  It drizzled again in the beginning, but then stopped and we finally saw some sun.  Mr. Wilson was a good horse and it was another fun day - in spite of the rain.

Now, we are caught up with the Great Rocky Mountain Adventure.  Tomorrow, I head for the Icefields Parkway and Jasper.  It's supposed to be a little rainy tomorrow too.  


 Vermilion Lakes and Mt. Rundle





Downtown Banff


No comments: