Friday, September 2, 2011

Time to head south....

I said good-bye to my B&B hostess this morning in Jasper.  She was originally from Wales, England but has lived in Canada for over 30 years.  She has six children scattered from Edmonton to Boston to London.  It was a great place to stay and my first stay at a B&B.

I headed back down the Icefields Parkway toward Lake Louise and finally was able to see the Columbia Icefields and Athabasca Glacier.  (They were covered by the blowing snow last time.)  There was lots of new snow, but no snow storm to drive through this time.   I decided not to waste time riding the snowcoach up on the glacier - I wanted more time to spend at Lake Louise.

Wow - did this country bumpkin feel a little out of place seeing the Chateau Lake Louise Hotel!!  I got a deal on the internet for a room.  This is absolutely the fanciest hotel I've ever been in.  I got lost trying to find my room - it is in a new wing.  This place is huge!  The location is magnificent at the end of Lake Louise.   My bathroom has a glassed in shower and a bathtub.  The lobby is awesome.  It has four or five different restaurants with menus posted in the lobby - you have to make reservations.

I chose the most reasonable (??) menu and went to make a reservation.  When I was seated, I think the waiter thought I needed something to do since I was alone.  He came back carrying a newspaper and asked if I'd like to read it.  Since he went to that trouble, I accepted.  The two sections he had brought me were sports and obituaries.....  So I read that we recently lost the founder of Reynolds Wrap while I waited for my dinner.

I am really tired from driving so I think I'll rest well tonight in my amazing room.  Can't believe I'm here!  Tomorrow, I plan to see Moraine Lake which is near here and then work my way closer to Calgary for my flight home on Sunday.  Hard to believe my adventure is almost over.

Leaving Jasper

New snow on mountains on the Icefields Parkway

Lots of snow.....


The Athabasca Glacier in the Columbia Icefield

Cars were pulled off the road everywhere and cameras were clicking as this guy walked down the mountain.

He was very busy eating and paid us no mind.  (I had the telephoto lens on and was a safe distance away).

I was so excited to see him and finally get some pictures of a bear!

The Crowfoot Glacier (it is down to two toes now).

Funny flowers along the road - no idea what they are.

The Chateau Lake Louise

The front entrance.

The lobby.

This little guy just popped up out of the rocks along the lake.  He is a pine martin.  (CORRECTION:  He is really a weasel - I looked him up on the Internet.)   I had never seen one before and thought they were much bigger.  He was very fast - I was lucky to have snapped this in time.  He was adorable!

No comments: